This year, I received a gift from a friend that today – with all the chaos going on in the world – I’m very glad to have in my kitchen: The All American Pressure Canner.
I, like many of you, am a beginner in canning.
I had no idea that water bath canning was only okay for making jams or applesauce. If you want to can low-acid foods (i.e. most vegetables), you’ll need a pressure canner.
The All American 921, the pressure canner I received as a gift, is ideal for canning large batches of foods, and (in my opinion) is the best pressure canner for families. It’s easy to use, and All American is one of the most respected brands in the industry.
Let’s take a closer look at this pressure canner, how it works, and why you need it.
- Large capacity (21.5 quarts)
- Easy to clean
- Steam-tight seal
- Easy-read steam pressure gauge
- 2 racks
- Extra safety features
- Includes a recipe book
- Cannot be used on a glass-top stove
- Higher cost but a worthwhile investment
My All American 921 Review
All American canners have been made by the Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry since 1930. They’re built with amazing quality and features, which is crucial when it comes to canning foods. You should never settle for anything less than the best when choosing a pressure canner. If your canning goes wrong, the results could be deadly (and that’s not an exaggeration).
With the All American 921 (and other All American models), you can rest assured that you’re getting a truly top-notch pressure canner.
921 Features & Specs
- Liquid capacity: 21.5-quart
- Interior diameter: 12.25”
- Wall thickness: 3/16”
- Interior height: 10.5”
- Weight: 23 lbs.
- Stackable racks: 2
- Material: Aluminum
- Bakelite handle and wing nuts
- Pressure regulator weight
- Neoprene over-pressure release
- No-gasket seal
- No-fingerprint satin finish
- Geared pressure gauge
Jar and Can Capacity
- Pint jars: 19 standard; 16 wide-mouth
- Quart jars: 7
- 1 cans: 35
- 2 cans: 18
- 3 cans: 10
- 10 cans: 1
As you can see, the 921 can hold quite a few jars. Imagine being able to can 19 jars of tomato sauce for your family in just one canning session.
With two racks, it’s much easier to maximize your canning capacity.
Metal-to-Metal Lid Sealing
One of the best features of the 921 is its metal-to-metal sealing system. The positive action clamping locks ensure the cover and base are perfectly aligned to create a tight steam seal without a gasket.
Why is this a big deal? Because no gasket is used, it’s easy to open and close the cover. The biggest issue with gasket systems is that the gasket is susceptible to burns, cracks, cuts and age hardening. If the gasket is damaged in any way, you can’t safely preserve foods. The no-gasket design eliminates this problem.
Durable Thick Cast Aluminum
The 921 is made with thick cast aluminum for added durability. If properly cared for, the 921 (and other All American pressure canners) can provide a lifetime of use.
The 921 is a weighted-gauge canner. What this means is that the included pressure weight regulator can be installed into the vent pipe in one of three positions: 5, 10 or 15 pounds of pressure. Once the pressure reaches your chosen level, the regulator weight will make a distinctive sound.
The geared pressure gauge is easy to read, too.
All American makes it as easy as possible to enjoy the art of pressure canning.
Safety is always a primary concern when using any pressure canner. All American pressure canners come with a built-in neoprene plug, which prevents overpressuring.
The 921 also has a stay-cool Bakelite top handle to prevent accidental burns or injuries.
On top of all of these features, the 921 has two automatic venting features that provide an additional layer of safety.
Easy to Clean
One of the things I really love about this pressure canner is that it’s so easy to clean. The smooth aluminum surface is easy to wipe down, and there are few complicated parts with difficult-to-reach areas.
All American offers a simple design that makes it easy to maintain this canner for generations to come.
How to Use the All American 921
The All American 921 pressure canner is easy to use, but before you get started, it’s important to first read the list of safety information on the first page of the instruction manual. Pressure canners must be used properly, or accidents and injuries can occur (with any brand canner).
It’s best to do a test run before you actually start canning so that you can get a feel for how the canner works and to make sure that you understand how to seal it properly.
- Make sure the vent pipe is clean and clear. If it’s clogged, use a pipe cleaner or wire to remove the build-up.
- Place 2-3″ of water into the unit.
- Lubricate the metal-to-metal seal with olive oil or petroleum jelly.
- Place the lid on top using the arrows to ensure that lid is in the appropriate position. When tightening the wing nuts, do two opposing wing nuts at the same time. This ensures that the lid is tightened evenly all around.
- Set the regulator weight to the appropriate position. The weight is a small round metal disc that sits on top of the vent. On the back of the weight, you’ll find three number: 5, 10 and 15. Check to see how many pounds of pressure your recipe calls for, and set the weight on top of the vent set to the appropriate weight. If you’re above 1,000 feet in elevation, you’ll need to add extra weight. The instruction manual will have more information regarding elevation and weight.
- Place the canner on a burner, and turn to high heat.
- Check for leaking.
- The weight will start jiggling when you’ve reached the right pressure.
It’s important to wait until the pressure gauge returns to zero before loosening the wing nuts and opening the lid. Allow all remaining pressure to escape by carefully (with protected hands) removing the regulator weight. Do not force cool your canner, as this can lead to food spoilage.
When you’re ready to remove the lid, make sure that you open it up facing away from you. This will protect your face from the steam and heat.
Other All American Canner Models
The 921 is one of the most popular pressure canner models from All American, but there are also other models to choose from, including:
- 910: 10.5-quart liquid capacity; 7 pint jars; 4 quart jars
- 915: 15.5-quart liquid capacity; 10 pint jars; 7 quart jars
- 925: 25-quart liquid capacity; 19 pint jars; 7 quart jars
- 930: 39-quart liquid capacity: 19 pint jars; 14 quart jars
- 941: 41.5-quart liquid capacity; 32 pint jars; 19 quart jars
All of these models have the same features as the 921, so you can choose based on your size preference.
Where to Buy All American Pressure Cooker Canners?
If you’re ready to buy an All American Pressure Canner, you may be tempted to run out to the nearest big-box store to get one. Don’t.
Most major retailers don’t carry this brand of pressure canners, and the ones that do are usually out of stock. The best place to get one is through Amazon. Amazon offers the best price and shipping options.
The All American Pressure Canner 921 is a treasured gift that has given my family the blessing of fresh, healthy food right from our own garden. It’s a self-sufficiency tool that I highly recommend for any home kitchen.