If you are looking for a fast and easy way to compost in your kitchen, you probably have heard of the Lomi Composter.
If you are wondering what all the hype is about and whether the Lomi Composter is worth it, you are in the right place.
I finally pulled the trigger on this purchase a few months back, and I’m really glad I did.
But a kitchen composter is a big decision, so it isn’t something you should jump into lightly.
I did a lot of research before I bought the Lomi Composter, but I want it to be easy for you to find the information you need to decide whether it is right for you.
So, in this post, I am going to share my experiences with you in detail. I will also explain how the Lomi Composter works.
Why I Purchased the Lomi Compost Machine
Late last year, I was about to take out my trash, when my cat got into it.
I know—you are probably wondering why I am talking about my cat. The reason is that my cat made a righteous mess, tearing the bag apart and scattering the trash. Having to pick it all up and put it back in the bag really made me slow down and think about what I was doing.
I realized I was throwing away a lot of food waste. Then I started thinking about my garden, and how I needed more compost.
I kept dwelling on this over the next few days. I was bothered by how much waste I was generating. I was only just getting into gardening, so I hadn’t started a compost heap outdoors yet.
The prospect of starting a composting heap really intimidated me. I read that it can take months or even years for food scraps to break down into usable compost outdoors, and I didn’t really want to deal with that.
Plus, one of my friends had ended up with a pest problem thanks to her compost heap, and I did not want to have that problem!
That was when I started researching alternatives, which led me to learning about kitchen composters. As I continued to research, the Lomi Composter emerged time and again as the top recommended product, so I decided to give it a try.
What is a Countertop Composter?
The Lomi Composter is a compact indoor appliance that you can set up in your kitchen. You put in the food waste you want to compost, and it does the job in under 4 hours.
Yep—it really is that simple. You push a button, and a few hours later, you have compost you can take outside to use immediately. No muss, no fuss.
What Can You Compost with the Lomi Composting Machine?
Lomi can handle just about anything compostable:
- Peels, rinds and other fruit and vegetable matter (but don’t go overboard on those that are really fibrous, and keep dried fruits to a minimum)
- Bones, if they are soft enough (I’d restrict it to fish bones)
- Tea bags and coffee filters
- Sticky, gooey foods like peanut butter or jelly (in limited amounts)
- Paper towels
- Paper products
- Bioplastics (these should never account for over 10% of what you put in for a cycle)
The very first thing I composted with Lomi was my dinner that night. The very second thing I composted was the packaging for the composter!
Here are some things you should never put in your Lomi:
- Anything that is greasy or oily
- Hard bones
- Large amounts of liquids (i.e. a bit of sauce in some leftovers is fine, but you should not be pouring in beverages)
- Excrement from your pets
- Other types of plastics that are not bioplastics
- Allelopathic plant-based waste
- Aluminum foil
The list above is not comprehensive. Do some research so you understand what is and is not safe to compost in your Lomi, and apply common sense.
How does the Lomi Composter Work?
From the user end, how Lomi works is simple: You add in your food waste, you select a mode, you push a button, and the composter does the rest.
How does the composter work internally? While Lomi is running, it grinds down the waste you added and applies aeration and heat. You can also add tablets Lomi sells that introduce probiotics to hasten the breakdown.
Lomi Composter Specs
- 25″L x 12″W x 12″H
- 70kWh of energy per 100 cycles
- 3 modes
- Reduce your food waste by 80%
- Compost in just 4 hours
- 60 decibels
There are three different modes for operating Lomi:
- Eco Express: If you are in a rush, you can get the job done rapidly using this mode. It takes about 4 hours on average, but sometimes I have had it get my scraps composted in just 3 hours. It is usually fine if all you are breaking down is organic waste.
- Lomi Approved: This mode takes 5-8 hours, and should be what you choose if you are composting packing materials and the like, rather than just food scraps.
- Grow: This is a “slow” mode that takes 16-20 hours. Just use it for food scraps. It will achieve the best possible breakdown, releasing the most nutrition for your garden. If you have time to run the Grow mode, I recommend it.
Remember, even the Grow mode is super fast compared to traditional methods of composting!
My Experience with the Lomi Composter
Now you are familiar with how Lomi works and what you can and cannot compost with it. But is it worth it?
To help you decide whether to get the composter, I am going to share my experiences with you in detail. I will be going over setup, ease-of-use, power consumption, noise levels and results.
Un-boxing Lomi and setting it up in my kitchen was a breeze. It only measures 25″L x 12″W x 12″H, so I was able to find a spot for it right on my countertop. I think even if you live in a relatively small space, you should be able to find a place for it. I live in an apartment, and I wouldn’t call my kitchen “tiny,” but it isn’t big either.
The appliance came with a manual which provided straightforward instructions. There are only a couple of steps involved in setting up Lomi; you need to fill the back and top filters with charcoal before you plug it in. After that, you are ready to use it!
If you are wondering what the activated charcoal is for, it is to prevent unwanted odors. And it works!
In terms of looks, I would say that Lomi is very neutral. It is a simple white appliance with a clean aesthetic. It neither enhances nor detracts from my kitchen counter.
Before I got Lomi, I was worried that the process of composting was going to be complicated. But I couldn’t have been more wrong.
Here is how to use your Lomi:
1. You place whatever you want to compost inside.
2. If you are using a pod, add it (more on that shortly).
3. Put the lid on Lomi.
4. Choose what mode you want to run the composter in, and start it.
There is only one button for selecting modes and starting the composter, so the user interface literally could not be simpler. I understood what I was doing instantly.
Coming back to the topic of the pods, you can run the composter in the Eco Express mode without them, but the appliance really does need them in order to use the other two modes.
Those are the modes you will probably be using most of the time (except when you are in a hurry), and you do want the composter to do the best possible job. So, you are going to need those pods.
One thing I love about Lomi is that for every 100 cycles, it only uses 70kWh. Even my refrigerator uses more than that!
It was really important to me that this be an energy-efficient product, because one of the reasons I got into gardening and composting in the first place is to do my part to cut carbon emissions and help fight climate change. I am pleased to say that Lomi delivers.
Noise Levels – and Smells
One thing I was concerned with when picking out a kitchen composter was noise levels. I live in a relatively small apartment, and I did not want to have it interrupting my TV time after dinner or keeping me awake at night.
Lomi is advertised as outputting just 60 decibels. I didn’t measure the decibels myself, but based on my understanding, that is accurate. It is no louder than my fridge, and actually quieter than a dishwasher.
Another big question you probably have about Lomi is, “Does it smell?” I am thrilled to report that no, it does not smell. There have been zero odors the entire time I have been using Lomi regardless of what I have been composting. That is a huge benefit over traditional outdoor composting, which can smell quite a bit.
Results: Does the Lomi Composter Deliver?
It was hard for me to believe Lomi really could transform my waste into usable compost in a matter of hours, but it does!
When you open up Lomi after composting, you will find it full of fine, uniform compost particulates.
I have been using it in my garden, and so far, it seems to be doing the trick! My plants are thriving, so Lomi compost passes my test with flying colors.
What I Love and What I Don’t
Just about everything about my Lomi Composter is awesome. It turned out to be exactly what I was looking for, and I use it almost every day. After dinner, I throw my scraps inside, turn it on, and go about my evening. In the morning, I go get the compost and take it out to my garden. It is as simple as can be, and I hardly even think about it anymore.
Remember my friend with the pest problem from her backyard compost heap? She ended up buying a Lomi after she saw mine, and she adores it.
Given our current situation with climate change, I firmly believe a kitchen composter is something every household should have. I feel good to know I am making a difference in my backyard.
My sole complaint about Lomi is that I keep having to buy refills for the charcoal and pods.
This is a long-term expense, but I don’t really think there was any way for Lomi to get around it in its product design.
If you want probiotics to help break down waste and you don’t want to stink up your kitchen, you need to keep adding pods and replacing charcoal. It is just the way it is, and that is a reality I was prepared for when I decided to buy a kitchen composter.
Pros of the Lomi Composter:
- Lomi Composter works rapidly to break down waste, and can get the job done in hours. Contrast that with the months it can take to break down materials into compost in your backyard.
- This product is energy-efficient, so you don’t have to worry about undoing the good you are doing with the composting. It also won’t run up your electrical bills.
- With its single button, Lomi could not be easier to use. Setup is also a breeze.
- There are multiple modes to choose from based on how much time you want to spend and what you are trying to achieve.
- Lomi is not (in my experience) noisy. It is completely unobtrusive, even in a small space.
- Using Lomi does not produce any unwanted odors or attract pests—both are major advantages over traditional composting.
- With its compact dimensions and neutral appearance, it should be easy to find a place for Lomi in your kitchen.
Cons of the Lomi Composter:
- I have heard some customers say that Lomi is noisy. It isn’t loud for me, so I’m not sure if there are inconsistencies in manufacturing or if this is just a subjective thing.
- This product requires LomiPod and charcoal refills, so that is an ongoing cost.
- The Lomi Composter is undeniably a large expense. Still, if you can afford it, it is entirely worth it. It will reduce the waste you generate while giving you great compost for your garden.
Verdict: Lomi is an Elegant, Reliable Solution for Kitchen Composting
I fell in love with my Lomi almost from the moment I had it out of the box, but I wanted to wait a few months before I wrote my review.
I can say after using it almost daily and having a chance to apply the compost in my garden, it is doing a fantastic job.
Composting does not need to be time-consuming or complicated, nor does it have to involve unpleasant odors or pests.
Just by pushing a button each day, you can easily compost your food in hours using Lomi. I heartily recommend it to anyone looking for an effortless way to recycle waste into usable compost.
Where Can You Buy the Lomi Composter?
If you are ready to bring the Lomi Composter to your kitchen and start turning your waste into rich, nutritious compost for your garden, click below to order now.