In search of a legit way to turn back the clock? Looking for something with the science and data to back up their claims as the best anti-aging supplement?
New anti-aging formulas seem to be hitting the market every day, but one of the most promising is Elysium Basis, a supplement which helps to boost levels of NAD+ in your body.
NAD+? Maybe you’ve heard of it, maybe you haven’t.
It’s swiftly gaining recognition among key members of the scientific community, and more and more members of the public are becoming aware of it as well.
In case you are still in the dark, I will start out this Elysium Basis review by telling you exactly what NAD+ is and why it has become such a big deal.
I’ll then tell you exactly what is in Elysium Basis and how it works, and I’ll go over the supplement’s pros and cons. That way you can make an informed decision about whether it is the right choice for your health. Let’s jump in.
What Is NAD+?
NAD+ (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) is a coenzyme. Its existence is hardly news; researchers have known about it since 1906. But over recent years, fresh discoveries about NAD+ have led scientists to realize that its role in the body may be vital to staving off the effects of aging.
Here are some key facts we now know about NAD+:
- Cells require NAD+ in order for oxidation-reduction (redox) reactions to occur. These reactions in turn are necessary to preserve DNA health, promote homoeostasis, modulate circadian rhythms, create ATP, and more.
- The levels of NAD+ in our bodies decline as we get older.
- Certain proteins which help promote homeostasis cannot do their job in the body without NAD+ to work alongside them. Those proteins play a key role in longevity, which means that NAD+ may also be essential to long life.
Just from this set of facts, it is easy to see why NAD+ supplements make sense. As we age, our bodies have a harder and harder time carrying out basic reactions which are vital to living. In part, that is because we no longer have as much NAD+ to support them.
If we can replenish NAD+, we can support those essential bodily functions. This may help us to live longer and healthier lives.
I have already briefly talked about the benefits of NAD+, but now I want to go into them in a little more detail.
Here is what NAD+ can do for you:
- Improve the health of your DNA. NAD+ helps to correct errors in your DNA for continued healthy functioning.
- Support the function of sirtuins. Sirtuins are the family of proteins mentioned earlier, the ones which help promote cell homeostasis.
- Boost liver health and function. NAD+ is a critical ingredient to the metabolic work performed by the liver. That includes maintaining healthy blood sugar levels and converting fat into energy.
- Support muscle function. NAD+ is also vital to the creation of ATP, which your muscles need in order to stay healthy and pain-free.
- Assist with calcium signalling. This process in your body is required for cell growth, muscle contraction, neurotransmission, and more.
- Regulate your sleep cycles. NAD+ is necessary for healthy circadian rhythms.
- Maintain the proper shape of proteins. NAD+ is involved with protein folding.
- Promote organ health. This is done by keeping stem cells healthy, a process which requires NAD+.
- Support healthy gene expression. Gene expression cannot take place without NAD+.
You can see clearly that NAD+ is vital to total body health through numerous pathways.
By working simultaneously through these pathways, NAD+ can help improve the functioning of systems and organs body-wide.
Just imagine the difference that could make in your day-to-day life.
Is NAD+ Backed By Science, Or Is It Just Another Health Fad?
“But I’ve heard all this before,” you might be thinking. “This is exactly what I’ve heard about HGH and other anti-aging supplements I’ve taken in the past. What makes NAD+ different?”
The answer is research. Lots and lots of research.
NAD+ has been extensively studied. In fact, it is getting more and more attention from scientists over time. Just check out this graph showing the number of scientific articles published about NAD+ year by year:
Here are links to just a few key studies on the benefits of NAD+:
- Hepatic NAD+ deficiency as a therapeutic target for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in ageing
- Declining NAD+ Induces a Pseudohypoxic State Disrupting Nuclear-Mitochondrial Communication during Aging
- Activation of SIRT3 by the NAD+ Precursor Nicotinamide Riboside Protects from Noise-Induced Hearing Loss
- NAD+ repletion improves mitochondrial and stem cell function and enhances life span in mice.
- NAD+ and sirtuins in aging and disease
- Long-Term Administration of Nicotinamide Mononucleotide Mitigates Age-Associated Physiological Decline in Mice
- Restoration of sirt1 function by pterostilbene attenuates hypoxia-reoxygenation injury in cardiomyocytes.
- Analysis of safety from a human clinical trial with pterostilbene
Again, that is just a small sampling. If you do some research on your own, you should find many more studies that support the importance of NAD+ in human biology.
Why Elysium Basis?
There are a few different NAD+ supplements on the market today. So let’s talk more specifically about Elysium Basis now. Why pick this supplement specifically?
- Research-driven: Elysium Health was established by Leonard Guarente, a Novartis Professor of Biology at MIT. Guarente has been studying the science of aging for decades now, and is the researcher who discovered the roles of the SIR4 and SIR2 genes in longevity. He also is the one who figured out alongside Dr. Shin-ichiro Imai that sirtuins can only function when NAD+ is present.
- Healthy ingredients: The ingredients contained in Elysium Basis are healthy and safe (see the section below for more details).
- Easy to take: Elysium Basis provides its benefits in a highly convenient form (more on that further down as well).
- Vegan-friendly: There are no animal-based ingredients used in these capsules.
- No unnecessary fillers or additives. That includes artificial flavours and dyes. The product is also gluten-free and nut-free.
- Meets FDA standards: The facilities where Elysium Basis is manufactured conform to the high standards set by the FDA.
- Third party tested: Every lot of Elysium Basis which is manufactured is subjected to rigorous testing by third party agencies, which check the supplement for purity and potency. See the results of the tests for each lot here.
When is the last time you purchased an anti-aging supplement from a company founded by an anti-aging researcher from MIT? It is hard to beat Elysium Health for reputation, or Elysium Basis for quality.
Elysium Basis Ingredients
Now, let’s talk about what’s in the bottle.
Elysium Basis does not actually contain NAD+. Instead, it provides your body with the precursor building blocks it needs to boost its own NAD+ production.
Here is the full active ingredients list for Elysium Basis.
- Nicotinamide Riboside: 250 mg. This is a precursor to NAD+.
- Pterostilbene: 50mg. This polyphenol is very much like resveratrol, but it has higher bioavailability.
The supplement also contains the following inactive ingredients (most of which you are probably familiar with from your other supplements):
- Microcrystalline Cellulose
- Vegetable Magnesium Stearate
That’s it! That is a very short list of ingredients. You know exactly what you are getting in every capsule of Elysium Basis.
How to Take
Elysium Basis is convenient and easy to use. Just take two capsules a day. The best time of day to do this is in the morning. You can have them with breakfast, or you can take them on an empty stomach.
But Wait … Is Oral NAD+ Effective?
There is unfortunately a downside here—one of the few we can come up with for this product.
According to research, the oral bioavailability of NAD+ boosting ingredients like nicotinamide riboside is not ideal.
Sublingual delivery of NAD+ supplementation would probably be more effective.
Then again, sublingual supplements have their own downsides—it can be hard to control the dose with any accuracy.
At least with a pill, you know exactly how much you are taking each day.
Plus, many people find it easier to take a pill or capsule than they do to use a sublingual supplement.
Nonetheless, I had my concerns when I was investigating this supplement.
I didn’t want to waste money on a product which wasn’t going to work—and I didn’t want to recommend it to my readers without being sure that it was going to be effective.
Thankfully, my concerns were laid to rest with this clinical study.
The results are summarized by this image:
The results show that subjects who took Elysium Basis during the research trial had their NAD+ levels increased by 40% compared to the placebo.
These results were seen at day 30, and then again at day 60.
This is exciting for two reasons. First of all, it demonstrates that Elysium Basis is effective in increasing NAD+ levels, even though it does not utilize sublingual delivery.
Secondly, it shows that the supplement continues to deliver effective results over time.
In fact, Elysium Basis is safe and effective to use over the long term. Obviously, this is very important in any anti-aging supplement.
So you will need to weigh the pros and cons for yourself here, but in my opinion, the pill format is easier and more convenient while still being effective.
That along with the quality of ingredients and the reputation of the company makes Elysium Basis my NAD+ supplement of choice.
Does It Really Work?
Now, as I mentioned, I was researching Elysium Basis for a couple of reasons.
First of all, my vanity. I wanted to find an anti-aging supplement for my own personal use. I turned 40 this year and need all the help I can get with age marks and wrinkles.
Secondly, and perhaps most importantly- I was looking for natural products to recommend to help with my energy levels. Initially, I was looking into the usual green drinks for help but the more I read about NAD+ the better it sounded.
So you’re probably wondering at this point whether Elysium Basis actually delivers….
I’ve been using it for about six months now, so I feel like I can answer that with some authority now.
First impression: I didn’t notice an immediate difference when I started taking Elysium Basis, though I did immediately appreciate how easy the capsules are to swallow and digest. From reading reviews online I knew this was to be expected so I stayed consistent with the dosage and didn’t give it much thought.
After a few weeks, I did notice that I was feeling more energetic during the day, and that I was sleeping more soundly at night. The impact this had on my daily productivity cannot be understated.
Within a few more weeks, I started noticing other differences. As having fewer aches and pains, and this was important as my exercise routine had taken a back seat for most of 2018 as I was constantly in pain after long runs. Mentally, I seemed have less brain fog and was able to focus much easy.
The most exciting thing however was when I went in to the doctor’s office for my annual physical several months after starting the supplement, and we discovered that my blood sugar levels had improved.
Can I say for absolute certain that Elysium Basis is responsible for all these positive changes my life?
No, I cannot prove that. But adding Elysium Basis to my supplement regimen however is the only major change that I made.
So I feel quite confident in saying that Elysium Basis has likely made all the difference. I’ve been very satisfied with the supplement, and do not hesitate to give it my highest recommendation. It was the only supplement I don’t mind paying for each month.
Key Advantages and Potential Disadvantages of Elyisum
Now that you are familiar with what NAD+ is, how it works, and how Elysium Basis can increase your levels of NAD+, let’s briefly review the pros and cons of this product.
- Elysium Basis is manufactured by Elysium Health, a company with a rock-solid reputation. Its founder, Leonard Guarente, has been conducting cutting edge research into aging and genetics at MIT for decades.
- The science behind NAD+ is backed by numerous research studies. Furthermore, the effectiveness of Elysium Basis itself has been demonstrated in a clinical trial published in the journal Aging and Mechanisms of Disease.
- The ingredients contained in Elysium Basis are minimal. The list is very short, and contains no unnecessary additives.
- Third-party testing ensures that each bottle of Elysium Basis contains only the purest and most potent ingredients for anti-aging health. The high-quality manufacturing process meets the regulations set forth by the FDA.
- Basis is easy to take. Just two capsules a day can help counteract the effects of aging.
- This is an oral supplement in capsule form, as opposed to a liquid sublingual form. This does reduce bioavailability but as we mentioned before studies still showed it was very effective.
- The supplement is certainly not cheap. At the moment, purchasing an individual bottle costs $60, and offers you one month’s supply. Thankfully, there are some excellent opportunities to save money on Elysium Basis. Plus, keep in mind that you’re getting an anti-aging supplement backed by comprehensive research. This is not just another anti-aging gimmick. That means in terms of value, it is a much better deal than many of the alternatives on the market.
How To Save $$$ On Elysium Basis
As just mentioned, there currently some great opportunities to save on Elysium Basis. Right now, if you get on a monthly auto renewal plan, you can save $10 per bottle.
If you pay for six months upfront, you can save another $5 per bottle.
Finally, if you pay for an entire year’s supply upfront, you can save $20 total off the original price for each bottle.
That means that each bottle of Elysium Basis costs you just $40.
That’s 33% off, and an incredible deal.
Where Can You Buy Elysium Basis?
While people are starting to talk about NAD+, word still hasn’t entirely gotten around. That is why it is still possible to get such an excellent price on Elysium Basis.
You can be sure that is going to change when more people start finding out about NAD+ and Elysium Basis.
For that reason, I highly recommend purchasing a one year subscription prepaid on this incredible anti-aging supplement while you can still snag the 33% discount.
That will lock in the $40/bottle price for a whole year’s supply.
Just think how much better you could be feeling and functioning after a year of supplementing with Elysium Basis!
I’ve had great results with Elysium Basis, and I am certain you will too.
It’s time to finally give your body what it really needs to support gene expression, cellular health, organ function and more.
Maybe we cannot truly turn back the hands of time, but we can sure delay them.